A STRONG DECARBONISATION STRATEGY
There are more than 2,700 islands all over Europe and every island has its own conditions. That is why the IANOS project aims at tailor-made solutions.
IANOS selected the islands of Ameland (Netherlands) and Terceira (Portugal) to serve as “pilot islands” because they both represent common EU challenges in terms of energy requirements, population, climatic conditions and topographic characteristics. The islands also offer various large-scale storage solutions for renewable energy sources and differ in their market characteristics, policies and regulations around the storage of energy. Considering their different penetration levels of renewable energy and grid conditions, they also represent different technical challenges.
The IANOS project also includes three “Fellow Islands” to validate the replicability potential of the results of the pilot islands. The islands selected are Lampedusa (Italy), Bora Bora (French Polynesia) and Nisyros (Greece).
VIRTUAL POWER PLANT BASED ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
A Virtual Power Plant (VPP) is a cloud-based cluster of intermittent energy generators such as wind turbines, solar panels, power-to-x facilities, vehicle-to-grid facilities, etc. that can be controlled from a central point. IANOS will demonstrate a VPP that uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) to optimise the generation of energy and balance demand and supply of energy on the islands. The AI is based on meta-learning predictive methods, fog computing, and a smart grid/advanced metering infrastructure integration to maintain stable system operation by taking into account several uncertainties and technical constraints such as ramp-up and down times, and compensating imbalances within various timeframes.
The core functionalities of the VPP include:
- efficient forecasting of renewable energy sources uncertainties and demand profiling through novel meta-learning, AI-based predictors and incorporating physical and statistical models based on the specified response-to-accuracy ratio;
- local-to-global energy assets’ management, through the use of edge-to-cloud infrastructure to deliver intelligence at low voltage prosumers and empower the local energy communities towards self-consumption and tackling local-to-regional area supply and demand balancing;
- incorporation of transactive mechanisms based on DLTs and smart contracts to support energy credits’ exchange between prosumers, aiming at enhancing transparency, immutability and localised energy balance incentivisation (also enabling prosumers’ active participation in flexibility services.
INNOVATIVE TOOLS SUPPORTING GREENER INVESTMENTS
The IANOS Energy Planning and Transition Suite will assist key island stakeholders, such as energy system planners, utility owners and public authorities, in developing an effective renewable energy portfolio and island decarbonisation plan.
The main elements are:
- A crowd equity platform to promote collaborative investments and co-ownership of renewable energy assets for citizens and island stakeholders;
- A dedicated Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) toolkit to further assist in the decision making process: large prosumers groups will be grouped together and be able to optimise their environmental impact through LCA analysis, and increase potential economic benefits by minimising energy costs;
- A grid-oriented optimiser, providing detailed modelling and grid scenarios simulations to examine the transient performance and network constraints per scenario given.
PEOPLE AS ACTIVE PLAYERS IN THE ENERGY SYSTEMS
The community and islander-centric approach of IANOS is based on two main axes:
- Active participation of citizens through the deployed ICT solutions (promoting crowdfunding for renewable energy investments, exchange of energy credits on established bilateral prosumer contracts, participation in implicit and explicit demand-response schemes, exchange of information on sustainable energy themes);
- Social engagement program led by the local Island authorities, to take into account critical feedback from islanders on the new investments.